Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Little girl you're in the middle of the ride- Jimmy Eat World


I absolutely love this song. I think this one is actually my anthem. It brings me back to the days of being a Young Life leader and working with students. I guess I should have known from there that counseling was my passion.

I have always questioned the path I am on. Is it right, did I make a mistake, did I make a right when I should have taken a left? Who really ever knows. It is not like the skies part and a huge man looks through the sky and yells with a bellowing voice, "Stella, you made it, you chose the correct path." It would be nice for a map, some coordinates to plug into a GPS, or a message in a bottle. Nope, unfortunately we have to make a lot of mistakes to get to where we fit in life. We take wrong turns, end up on dead ends, and have some blow outs along the way. The trick is to keep going, and if something doesn't fit then change it.

Well, I have done a lot of thinking the past few years about where life has brought me and what I am suppose to do now. I feel like there is more for me, I am suppose to do something bigger. I want to make an impact. So I decided to follow my dream of getting my masters and becoming a school counselor. Well, guess what...I have 1.5 weeks left of graduate school and on May 17 my big rear is dancing across that stage. I made it, I did it, and I couldn't be prouder of myself. There were no fireworks that went off, no marching band that started cheering my name, and not even the message in the bottle I have been looking for, but there was something. There was a moment of clarity. A moment when everything made sense. A moment when I realized I have found my way. During my last presentation with my professor she asked me, "What have you learned from this course?" I couldn't even get the words out without the tears falling. I told her that for once in my life everything made sense. All the puzzle pieces fit. My purpose in life is to not only be Trent's stepmother, but to be a school counselor. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching, but I finally understand how strong my passion is to connect with these students and help them learn more than just the periodic table. I want to help them find themselves, to learn how to be comfortable in their own skin, to be an encouragement, and to help them through the rough spots. I have found my niche. And I am telling you it feels good. It took me 31 years, and a lot of heart ache to find it, but I found it!

I am not sure what the future holds, but I do know something. Someday, somewhere I will get to make an impact on the lives of students. I cannot wait for my adventure to start.

Letting the pieces come together,
Stella

From science nerd to counselor...here I go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment